Just read a great article that summarizes all of the “Best of” lists for Austin, Texas! If you’re considering a relocation to the area, be sure to do your research:
Austin Business Journal, Sarah Drake – “Best-of” Austin 2011
Austin is one of the best cities for working mothers, to take a weekend vacation, to find a job, for dating, and small-business vitality, among many others — at least that’s what many ‘best-of’ lists said this year.
Below is a wrap up of the ‘best-of’ and ‘top city’ lists that ranked Austin in 2011.
• Austin was ranked this month as the top city for the highest job levels in a decade but Forbes magazine cited a 19 percent drop in high-tech jobs over the past decade when it ranked Austin No. 32 on a list of best cities for tech jobs.
• In September, Austin snagged fifth on a list of U.S. cities with the most healthy employment outlooks.
• The Brookings Institution named Austin among the best green job generators in its “Sizing the Clean Economy: A National and Regional Green Jobs Assessment” report.
• Looking for a new start? Austin is the best place to start a career, according to a report released in June.
•In July, Forbes and the Praxis Strategy Group named Austin America’s No. 1 “boom town.”
•Austin leads the nation for having the most favorable conditions for small businesses, an April report said.
• Vavoom.com named Austin the second best place for dating in the nation thanks to its rich supply of entertainment and high ratio of singles.
• Another Forbes report listed Austin among the 10 best cities for a weekend vacation. Pets also enjoy spending time in Austin, according to DogFriendly.com, who ranked the Capital City the No. 7 best place to vacation with pet.
• Businessweek listed Austin among the best places to live, Business Review USA chose Austin as one of the eight best places to live and work in the U.S., and RelocateAmerica named the Capital City as one of the 100 finalists in its 14th annual best places to live contest.
• ForbesWoman, an online property of Forbes.com, ranks Austin as the No. 18 best U.S. city for working mothers.
• Military retirees may want to consider launching a post-service career in Austin after USAA and Military.com ranked the city as the No. 4 best place for second careers after military retirement.
• Bilingual cable channel Mun2 named Austin the second-best city for young Latino Americans to live, work and play.
• Austin is listed as a top city to find information technology talent, according to KLG Advisors.
• Earlier this month, Austin was ranked by the Milken Institute as the fourth best-performing city in the U.S.
Unfortunately, not all of the lists were so positive in 2011. According to a report by Allstate Corp., Austin ranked 150 out of 200 of America’s largest cities for having the least safe drivers. And TurboTax said Austinites are the fourth worst tax procrastinators in the U.S., most waiting until the final three days to file.